Joel Proskewitz is a sought after presenter and speaker, presenting both locally in the UK and also abroad. He presents both his own material and is also one of the lead instructors for the McGill clinical and trainer's courses. His current schedule is:
- McGill 1 and 2 - Rome, Italy - 10th-13th February 2018 - open to clinicians and trainers - sign up link
- Equinox health clubs - NYC, USA - February 2018 - Closed group - in house staff training
- McGill Performance 1 and 2 - Sao Paulo, Brazil - 24-25th February 2018 - open to clinicians and trainers - sign up link
- Prof McGill and Joel Proskewitz - McGill 2 - The Three Hour Assessment - PerformanceRx, London 2018 - 3-4 March 2018 - see below
McGill 2 - Assessing the back pained client - Converging on a precise diagnosis (2 Days)
Restoring a painful back begins with a detailed assessment. McGill demonstrates and teaches pain provocation through mechanical and neurological approaches intended to reveal the cause of pain. The algorithm is based on branching logic. Delegates will hone their manual skills, together with clinical reasoning skills, work-shopping tests both on and off the exam table. This will lead to a precise diagnosis that forms the foundation for teaching the patient how to wind down their pain sensitivity. The second stage begins when pain is controlled, and the objectives shift to enhancing function and performance.
This is a smaller more intimate course, primarily around the exam table.
This course is geared towards clinicians and practitioners.
- Instructor: Professor Stuart McGill and Joel Proskewitz
- Date: 3rd & 4th March 2018
- Time: Saturday 8.30am - 5pm. Sunday 8.30am - 1pm
- Location: PerformanceRx - 79-81 Fairfax Road, London, NW6 4DY
- Price: £850
- LIMITED TO 24 ATTENDEES ONLY
To interview, observe, probe and provoke pain to reach a precise diagnosis that will guide pain desensitization and build a foundation for pain-free activity. Technique development through patient/athlete case study workshops.
Delegates will take away:
Manual skills, clinical reasoning skills and patient tests both on and off the exam table.
*This is both a lecture and workshop, so please bring appropriate training gear. Delegates will have to bring their own therapy table - 1 table between 3 practitioners. Please email us to confirm you can bring a table*
1: The foundation
- Background (Lecture)
- Movement assessments and screens
- Mechanisms of function, injury and pain
- Medical images (MR, CT, Ultrasound) interpretation
- Differential diagnosis
2: The assessment (hands-on workshop at assessment tables)
- Assessment Clinic
- Assessment forms
- Provocative tests, movement tests - These include motions, postures, loads and then specific tissues
- Compression, shear, bending, tension, etc
- Discs, end plates, vertebral bodies, sciatic and femoral nerve roots, SI joints, Facet joints, hip joints, muscle
- Pain mechanisms including directionally frictioned nerve roots, multiple pain sources, dynamic disc bulges, pelvic ring laxity, among many others.
- Support material
3: Interpreting the signs and special cases Special Cases
- Spinal shock
- Neural resonance
- Neural traps
- Scoliosis, Stenosis, etc
The course organisers reserve the right to make any and all changes to the course, including but not limited to fees, dates and venue for the course. In the event that the course is cancelled or re-scheduled by the course organiser, a full refund of fees will be given, but the organiser takes no responsibility for travel or accommodation expenses incurred by the delegate. If for any reason you are unable to attend the course, a full refund will be given, less a £50 administration charge, for all cancellations at least 25 days before the event.
Cancellations received less than 25 days prior to the seminar date will unfortunately not receive a refund, however you may transfer the course to another person.
McGill Performance 1 - Back Mechanic - working with the back pained client
This one day course is for personal trainers and clinicians. Learn how to assess the causes (motions, postures and loads) that are back pain triggers. Then, based on the assessment, learn to eliminate the trigger to allow the pain to desensitize. This builds a client to receive your training. The third component guides the building a pain-free foundation for movement. Get the latest scientific evidence on back exercise - what helps and what hurts, and why.
- Instructor: Joel Proskewitz
- Date: New dates coming in 2018
- Location: PerformanceRx - 79-81 Fairfax Road, London, NW6 4DY
- Please email email@example.com to put your name on the waiting list for the 2018 courses
This one day course is for trainers and performance specialists who deal with clients with back pain. Both lectures and workshops provide delegates with background information on the mechanisms that cause back pain and how these can be assessed and addressed with movement and exercise programming that adhere to the principles of Professor McGill. This process creates clients who are then liberated to begin training. Then specific principles are workshopped to create pain-free and injury resilient movement/motor patterns, that allow further programming by the trainer. *This is both a lecture and workshop, so please bring appropriate training gear*
- Introduction 30 mins
- Self Assessment 90mins (find the pain)
- Removing the cause: Spine Hygiene 90mins (Pain avoidance - build resilience)
- Building the foundation for a pain-free and resilient Back 90mins (how to begin rehab)
- Tuning the machine 90mins
- Conclusion - Q&A 30 mins
- Further information about the McGill 4 course can be found here
The course organisers reserve the right to make any and all changes to the course, including but not limited to fees, dates and venue for the course. In the event that the course is cancelled or re-scheduled by the course organiser, a full refund of fees will be given, but the organiser takes no responsibility for travel or accommodation expenses incurred by the delegate. If for any reason you are unable to attend the course, a full refund will be given, less a £50 administration charge, for all cancellations at least 21 days before the event.
Cancellations received less than 21 days prior to the seminar date will unfortunately not receive a refund, however you may transfer the course to another person.